How about you indulge in a good grilled pork dish once a week? Liempo Barbecue is a great way to treat your self and loved ones after a full 5-days of work. Here's a recipe from one of our homecooks Mommy Jenny. Of course, make sure you catch up on fruits and veggies too!
Did you know that liempo or pork belly is a Filipino-favored meat because it is considered a prime cut? Liempo comes from the belly area or the side of the pig. The exchange of fatty and meaty layers makes it more flavourful, tender, and easier to cook with. Locally, we just love it for barbecue, Lechon belly, sinigang, bagnet and for making bacon too!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 30 minutes, or overnight for tastier meats
Cook time: 30 minutes
Spice Used: Barbecue Lovers
10 pieces of pork liempo, thaw if frozen
3 tablespoons of Reqado Barbecue Lovers
8 pieces kalamansi
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
5 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons ketchup
1 tbsp honey (optional)
Marinating the Liempo:
1. In a dish or bowl, put the thawed liempo and pat dry.
2. Add the kalamansi juice. Remove any seeds as these may make your meat taste bitter.
3. Sprinkle Reqado Barbecue Lovers and rub on to the meat.
4. Add soy sauce, ketchup, and honey.
5. Add garlic.
6. Using your hands mix everything together until the ingredients, including the liempo are well blended.
7. Marinate the liempo for at least 30 minutes. For best results, leave overnight in a refrigerator.
Grilling the Liempo:
1. Spread charcoal evenly onto your grilling stove. It takes about 5-10 minutes for the charcoal to burn and get into high heat.
2. Using a food brush or towel, wipe oil onto your grill grates to prevent the meat from sticking.
3. Depending on the size of your grill, lay 3-4 liempo meats and place them 1/4 inch away from each other.
4. Let the meat cook for 7-10 minutes on each side, if high heat. If medium heat, this should take 12-15 minutes. The key is to watch the meat all the time so you can tell when or when not to flip.
5. Occasionally brush left over marinating liquid onto the meat. This will keep it juicier and tastier.
6. Check if it is already cooked by tasting a small piece of the liempo.
Serve with a Barbecue dip made of 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tbsp fish sauce, chopped onions, and lightly crushed chili peppers.
Serve hot and with rice. Enjoy!