Shrimp and Tomato Pasta
Spicing up your usual weekday lunch or dinner? This comforting dish will make you swoon over plump shrimps and a delectable rich red tomato sauce. A perfect alternative to the routine rice and ulam meal. Let's eat!Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Spices Used: Reqado Italian Lovers, Paprika, Chili Flakes, White Pepper
Ingredients for the Pasta Sauce:
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 15 very ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Reqado Italian Lovers
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Ingredients for the Baked Prawns:
- 10 pcs medium or large prawns
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon Reqado Italian Lovers
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
Pre-cooked pasta. I recommend for the pasta to be cooked 2-3 minutes less than prescribed cooking time as it will continue to cook when mixed with the sauce.
To Cook the Pasta Sauce
1. In a sauce pan, warm olive oil over medium heat.
2. Saute garlic, then add salt and stir. This will help prevent the garlic from overcooking right away.
3. Add Reqado Italian Lovers to wake up the spices. Stir for 10-15 seconds and smell a wonderful aroma being released as the spices meet heat.
4. Add the tomatoes and keep stirring until the tomatoes get mushy, and the skin peels off and wilt. This should take around 5-8 minutes.
5. Add white pepper and chili flakes.
6. Pour the pre-cooked pasta and fold in the rich sauce.
7. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and turn off the flame.
1. Prepare the shrimps by cleaning it over running water. Cut the antennae and inspect the shrimp for any spoilage. I prefer to cook it with the shell intact as this makes for a tastier shrimp.
To Butterfly and Bake the Shrimps
2. To butterfly the shrimps, cut along the back starting from the head towards the tail using a paring or sharp knife.
3. Marinate shrimps with the juice of half a lemon. Leave for 10-15 minutes.
4. In a non-stick pan, melt butter over medium heat. Then add Reqado Italian Lovers and pepper. Mix until well blended.
5. Get a Pyrex glass dish or any baking dish, and then line up the prawns and add a dash of salt each. Then drizzle the butter mixture on top.
6. Pre-heat oven time 150F.
7. Bake prawns for 15 mins or until they turn red orange.
1. Prepare your favourite serving platter. Using tongs, transfer the mixed pasta to the platter, and then place the baked prawns on top.
2. Drizzle with some of the shrimp butter sauce and also spoon over some of remaining tomato sauce.
3. Sprinkle some more parmesan cheese and chili flakes on top.
4. Top with parsley leaves, mint or anything green to make it look amazingly appetising!
BUY YOUR REQADO ITALIAN LOVERS