Tomato Aglio e Olio (Pasta with Garlic and Oil)
Rainy days beckon for comfort food, especially dishes that we can cook in minutes. This is especially helpful for me as I work full-time and manage this spice business. Which is why I am so in love with Aglio e Olio, the most basic Italian pasta sauce that is super simple to make, and is the base of all other pasta dishes that we know.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Aglio (garlic) and Olio (oil) are the two main components of Italian pasta dishes. The sauce begins by gently cooking garlic in oil, and then adding on other ingredients. Our favourite Marinara, Arrabbiata, Puttanesca, Vongole and other pasta dishes all have a base of generous garlic and oil. So if there is one pasta sauce you need to know and master, that's Aglio e Olio!
Cook time: 15 minutes
Spice Blends Used: Reqado Italian Lovers
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12-15 pieces ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Reqado Italian lovers
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 chili flakes
- pre-cooked pasta (350-400g)
1. In a non-stick pan, warm olive oil.
2. Add garlic and gently stir. I would advise to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt at this point and keep stirring. It will prevent garlic from overcooking right away when you add salt.
3. Add Reqado Italian lovers and let it get warmed up by the oil and heat. Stir for 10-12 seconds. This spice blend combines oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, garlic and salt to add a wonderful Italian-dish flavour.
4. Add tomatoes and stir until mushy. Adjust the saltiness based on your preference.
5. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp ground pepper and 1/2 tsp chili flakes.
6. Add pre-cooked pasta which is a bit shy of aldente. TIP: I would suggest you cook the pasta as instructed but drain it at least 2-3 minutes from prescribed time. The pasta will keep on cooking when you stir it with the sauce.
7. Stir until everything is well-blended - about a minute.
8. Turn off the flame and transfer into a platter.
Add parmesan cheese (optional) and more chili flakes. You can also add fresh basil or parsley for some hint of freshness.
Order your Reqado Italian Lovers, this sure is a best-seller!