Craving for restaurant-style Roast Beef? This hearty and comforting dish is perfect for meat lovers. Cooking preparation involves longer hours of roasting in the oven for the meat to become tender and soft to the bite. But it's definitely worth the wait!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
- 1 1/2 boneless Rump Roast (choose the meat with a lot of fat marbling or lines as this gives more flavour)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8-10 slivers of garlic (3 to 4 cloves, sliced in half or into thirds)
- salt and pepper
For the gravy:
- Beef drippings
- 1 small Campbell Mushroom Sauce
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
2. Prepare the beef by slicing small cuts all around the meat and insert the garlic slivers in between.
3. Drizzle the beef with olive oil. Then add salt and pepper.
4. Warm a non stick pan or iron skillet over high heat. Add a little oil and when it is smoking a bit, sear the beef just enough to have the golden brown color. This should take about 2-3 minutes on each side. Searing the beef will release drippings from the meat. Scoop with a spoon and coat the beef as it cooks.
5. Once seared, remove the beef from the pan using tongs, and then place it in the middle of the oven rack with a pan under to catch the drippings. Make sure the fatty side of the meat is facing up.
6. Roast the beef for 1.5 hours at 375F then reduce to 225F for another 1 hour. Note if you have beef that is thinner or less round or thick the cooking time must be reduced and you need to observe the beef more often. The thicker the beef the longer cooking time.
7. When it is done, don’t take out the beef, let it rest in the oven until temperature reaches about 120F, about 5 minutes. Take it out and cover with aluminum foil to rest for another 5 minutes before cutting.
To cook the gravy:
1. Warm pan over medium heat and then add butter until it melts.
2. Add the beef drippings and the mushroom sauce and stir.
3. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and adjust based on desired level of saltiness and spice.
4. In a separate cup, combine cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of cold water and mix. Then add into the sauce mix and stir.
5. Stir well and let it boil for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat once done.
Cut the beef in strips and drizzle gravy on top. Best serve with mashed potato and buttered vegetables.
A hearty meal perfect for a fully-loaded day.