Singapore-style Chili Crabs
A vibrant dish that is a must-try when visiting Singapore. How about you make this Chili Crabs at the comfort of your own home? Here's an easy recipe for you to enjoy this world-famous seafood dish.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Spices Used: Garlic Powder, Ginger Powder, Chili Powder
4-6 pieces crab (alimango), cleaned
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tbsp Reqado Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Reqado Ginger Powder (fresh ginger can be used)
1 tbsp Reqado Chili Powder
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
5 tbsps sweet chili sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 small egg
Green sili for garnish
Cleaning the crabs:
Make sure the crabs are cleaned by soaking them in water for 1 hour. Then wash again in running water.
Making the sauce:
In a separate bowl, mix tomato sauce, oyster sauce, sweet chili sauce, sugar, cornstarch and water. Set this mixture aside.
Cooking:1. Warm oil in pan over medium heat.
2. Sweat onions until semi-transparent and then add garlic, saute until golden brown.
3. Mix in garlic powder, ginger powder and chili powder. Stir for 1 minute to release the spices' aroma.
4. Add the crabs, stirring gently.
5. When the crabs turn orange, add in the pre-mixed tomato sauce.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 15 minutes in low heat.
8. Lightly beat egg and stir into the mixture.
9. Taste and adjust saltiness and heat as desired.
10. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes before turning off the stove.
Serve the crab on a platter or bowl and pour sauce. Top with green chili as garnish. Serve with rice and have a feast at home!